After, over 15 years, as a Real Estate Licensed Salesperson, in the State of New York, I strongly, believe, in order to maximize one’s potential to succeed, profit, and be happy, with any real estate purchase, decision, etc, it is important to proceed, wisely, carefully, and in a well – considered manner! I refer to these, often, as the truisms, of any involvement, actively, related to this industry! Since, for most people, the financial value of their house, represents, their single – largest asset, doesn’t it make sense, to proceed, as wisely, as possible, in an informed way? With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 essential, realistic considerations.
1. Don’t try to market – time!: Very few, are able to, and lucky – enough, to market – time, when it comes to this, specific industry, and component, of our economy! Rather, one should consider, several other factors, including: affordability; ability to meet present and future needs; liking the specific neighborhood; financial/ economic issues; etc.
2. Will it be a starter – home, or, longer – term?: From the onset, it is wise, to consider, whether the specific house, will be, a starter – home, or one, which you keep, for a longer – term! This process makes it easier, to make the best decisions, in terms of the specifics of a house, such as size, rooms, features, and needs/ priorities! Obviously, one can’t accurately, predict/ read, the future, but, if the objective is longer – term, it means planning, for a family, quality schools, and other conveniences, needs, priorities, etc!
3. Differentiate between wish – list, and, actual needs: A wise home – buyer, enters the process, with two lists: one, which is a wish – list; and the other, one’s actual needs, and priorities! This means, realistically, evaluating your personal circumstances, as well as finances, and comfort zone! The wish – list, should help one’s selection, when the actual needs, directs you to a few options, and fall – into, your budget, and other priorities, needs, and perceptions!
4. Why would you want to live in this area?: What might one specific area, offer, which makes it attractive, to you? Consider factors, such as: safety/ crime; schools; convenience to stores, transportation, houses of worship, etc; and other personal priorities, etc!
5. Why any, specific, home/ house?: What makes any, specific house, appeal, to you? Be careful, to have it inspected, by a professional Home Inspector/ Engineer, so there are far – fewer, undesirable surprises! Consider, what you feel are the highest priorities, for your home, and why? Also, identify, how a property, might enhance, or harm, your personal happiness, and well – being! Obviously, be certain, you don’t become, House – rich, but financially – poor!
If you proceed, paying attention, to these, and other considerations, your potential to make the wisest, personal decision, is enhanced! Will you be, your own, best friend?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands, conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades, and a RE Licensed Salesperson, for 15+ years. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles.